[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] Font question

Roman Kennke roman.kennke at aicas.com
Thu Apr 17 19:22:29 UTC 2008

Hi Igor,

> Can you prototype run Font2DTest?
> Will be interesting to compare to openjdk in for couple of different
> fonts/sizes and rasterization modes.

Ok, this is interesting. I can now run Font2DTest, and you know what? It
looks just fine. At least with plain fonts:

http://kennke.org/~roman/vera-plain-cacio.png

There seems to be a problem with bold fonts though:

http://kennke.org/~roman/freesans-bold.png

I think I hit this with my example, since Swing uses lots of bold fonts
by default, and somehow my FontManager and/or FontConfiguration has
chosen a font that is very bad. Vera Bold looks much better. This
problem with bold fonts is also visible with the OpenJDK X11 pipeline:

http://kennke.org/~roman/freesans-bold-openjdk.png

So I think it's not my fault.

Also, I think that I did something wrong with my first experiments and
only used one font file, which didn't contain the bold versions, so the
pipeline probably rendered a plain font with bold configuration or
something like this. Is this plausible?

For now I think I have to fix my FontConfiguration and FontManager stuff
(I moved the font code from the GraphicsEnvironment to FontManager
subclasses), so that the correct fonts are chosen, and hope that it
works better then.

Cheers, Roman

--
Dipl.-Inform. (FH) Roman Kennke, Software Engineer, http://kennke.org
aicas Allerton Interworks Computer Automated Systems GmbH