[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] 4189647 - Dimension2D.Float/.Double

Philip Gust gust at nouveausystems.com
Wed Jun 18 12:05:25 UTC 2008

Jim,

Sometimes it's convenient to work with size and origin.  Our graphics
system adds some operations on Rectangle2D.Float/Double including the
ability to construct one using a Point2D and a Dimension2D, and the
ability to ask for size and origin of a Rectangle2D.Float/Double
separate from bounds.  We had to implement our own equivalent to
Dimension2D.Float/Double because one wasn't provided in Java2D.  I'd
also suggest adding the constructors and the size/origin enquiry
functions as appropriate to Java2D shape classes.  We find them to be
very useful.

 > Hi Ben,
 >
 > Since it was only used for doing component layouts (in integer space),
 > it wasn't really needed anywhere, though I suppose that this begs the
 > question as to why Dimension2D was created in the first place.
 > (scratches head, doesn't remember).
 >
 >Do you have a use case for it now?
 >
 >                       ...jim
 >
 > LOUD, Ben wrote:
 >> I was just wondering, is there any reason why there are no Float
and Double subclasses of Dimension2D? I'm suprised such a simple
thing was never included.

 >> Thats all. Thanks!
 >>

 >> "Warning:
 >> The information contained in this email and any attached files is
 >> confidential to BAE Systems Australia. If you are not the intended
 >> recipient, any use, disclosure or copying of this email or any
 >> attachments is expressly prohibited.  If you have received this email
 >> in error, please notify us immediately. VIRUS: Every care has been
 >> taken to ensure this email and its attachments are virus free,
 >> however, any loss or damage incurred in using this email is not the
 >> sender's responsibility.  It is your responsibility to ensure virus
 >> checks are completed before installing any data sent in this email to
 >> your computer."

Philip Gust
Nouveau Systems, Inc.

phone: +1 650 961-7992
fax:   +1 520 843-7217

mailto: gust at NouveauSystems.com

Nouveau Systems products seamlessly integrate collaboration,
information management, processes automation, and capture of
mission-critical knowledge.  To learn how Nouveau Systems products
can help your organization drive innovation, visit:
http://www.NouveauSystems.com