[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] Review Reqeust for Bug 100068 - SunGraphics2D exposes a reference to itself while non fully initialised

Jim Graham Jim.A.Graham at Sun.COM
Thu Jun 18 19:52:46 UTC 2009

That makes a lot of sense since I think the introduction of the
GlyphListLoopPipe in its current form was where the original methodology
of "always install loops if you plan to use loops" was first (and only
time) violated.

I think I raised the issue at the time and Phil pointed out that, in
practice, the loops never really change for a given surface type (as in,
if a different compositing mode is set or if a non-color paint is set
then we use entirely different mechanisms to render so the only loops
that exist for these are "solid color" loops and those loops are always
valid for all cases that use these pipes).

While that may mean we don't have a practical bug yet, the weakness of
that argument in general, and the desire to resolve the issue from the
original bug report may mean we should revisit this practice.

One solution would be to always set the loops for the validations that
install one of these pipes.  That could have potential performance
impact, but it would be no worse than the validation sequences that
already set the loops every time so I don't think it would be serious,
or even measurable.

Another solution could involve splitting these loops out into a separate
structure that can be set once in the lifetime of an SG2D and then
reused as appropriate.  But this is banking on the "only one version of
these loops really exists anyway" constraint and some day that
constraint is likely to disappear and then we really will need to pick
new loops on every validate.

As such, I think I'd prefer the first solution - to just pick new loops
every time they are needed (i.e. unless the pipeline really doesn't use
the loops directly, or indirectly through these text pipes)...

			...jim