[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] Review Reqeust for Bug 100068 - SunGraphics2D exposes a reference to itself while non fully initialised

Mario Torre mario.torre at aicas.com
Wed Jun 24 13:55:21 UTC 2009

Il 23/06/2009 01:47, Jim Graham ha scritto:
> Hi Mario,
>
> The changes look safe, but I wanted to bring up the following issues:

Hi Jim,

> - There are a dozen or so fields in SG2D that are commonly accessed
> everywhere in the pipelines including loops. These changes introduce an
> accessor for loops, but that now looks out of place with no accessors
> for any of the other fields that get accessed directly. Personally the
> lack of accessors hasn't bothered me, particularly since this is
> performance sensitive code and accessors can sap performance by nickels
> and dimes if you don't implement them correctly - to wit:

+42 :)

> - Accessors can be inlined if they are final, but these aren't. As it
> turns out, SG2D itself is final and so I believe that is enough for them
> to be inlined, but I tend to make methods final as well to underscore
> that they are intended to be inlined, and also in case we eventually
> decide to make the class non-final. On the other hand, we haven't really
> bothered with accessors in the first place in this code to avoid the
> code bloat and the potential points of heuristic failure.
>
> - I agree that it would be nice to ask the pipes if they need loops, I'm
> not sure why your solution didn't work, but I prefer that to making them
> a side effect of getTextPipe() since it makes it harder to know when the
> code you are editing needs to get the loops or not, and it makes it hard
> to see where they come from when editing the many validatePipe() methods.

Would you mind if I divide the patch in 2 or 3 slots?

I'll give you first the accessors patch, then a patch that fixes the
issue in subject with my current approach and finally a refactorisation
so that the loops can ask wherever they want the loops validated or not,
because this is the less trivial and because I cannot work on that much
in my company time :(.

I'll try to give you something already today, hopefully.

Cheers,
Mario
--
Mario Torre, Software Developer, http://www.jroller.com/neugens/
aicas Allerton Interworks Computer Automated Systems GmbH

USt-Id: DE216375633, Handelsregister HRB 109481, AG Mannheim
Geschäftsführer: Dr. James J. Hunt

Please, support open standards:
http://endsoftpatents.org/