[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] X11 uniform scaled wide lines and dashed lines; STROKE_CONTROL in Pisces

Denis Lila dlila at redhat.com
Mon Aug 30 22:03:23 UTC 2010

Hello Jim.

> One way in which they may not break enough is that I think that
> inflections also need to be broken in order to find a parallel curve
> (though I suppose a very tiny inflection might still be approximated by
> a parallel curve easily) and inflections can happen at any angle without
> going horizontal or vertical.

    It wouldn't be hard to add additional breaks at the inflection points.

> Secondly, although a circle tends to be represented by quadrant sections
> which are monotonic, a circle rotated by 45 degrees would have
> horizontal and vertical sections in the middle of each quadrant and you
> would split those, but really they can be made parallel regardless of
> angle so these would be unnecessary splits.

    That's true, and it's one reason I didn't like my method very much when I sent
my previous e-mail. However, what if we rotated curves so that B'(0) is
parallel to the x-axis before splitting at points where dx/dt or dy/dt are 0?
This would certainly get rid of this problem for circles, and probably for
other curves. All it would cost is 1 Math.cos and 1 Math.sin and a few
multiplications and additions per curve.

The biggest problem with my implementation was that some curves that were almost
lines were drawn horribly. I computed the parallel (p1', p2', p3', p4') of
a given curve (p1, p2, p3, p4) by making p2'-p1' parallel to p2-p1,
making p4'-p3' parallel to p4-p3. This leaves a 2 unknowns, so to get 2 more
equations I made the computed parallel at t=0.5 equal to the ideal parallel
at t=0.5. The problem was that for some curves (ones with very high curvature)
p2'-p1' and p4'-p3' were parallel to p2-p1 and p4-p3 but their directions were
opposite, so you can imagine what the computed "parallel" looked like.
However, I am almost certain that the problem was caused by making C(0.5) = P(0.5)
(where C is the computed curve, and P is the ideal parallel). A much better
restriction, that I think would eliminate the problem would be C(d1/(d1 + d2)) = P(0.5).
where d1 = ||P(0.5)-P(0)|| and d2 = ||P(1)-P(0.5)||.

> My belief is that lengths and angles of the control polygon help
> determine if it is well-behaved and can be made parallel simply by
> offsetting.  Some formula involving those values would likely be happy
> with circle sections regardless of their angle of rotation.  I believe
> the Apache Harmony version of BasicStroke used those criteria...

    I've been reading the Apache Harmony file. The way they do it is compute
the tangent of an angle using the line width and a predefined constant
(which doesn't seem to be related to the curve's polygon - it's just a decreasing
function with the range (-1,1)), and if some angles in the polygon are smaller than
the computed angle, offset curves are computed. Otherwise the curve is subdivided.
However, I can't understand how offsets for the control points are computed (i.e.
why they use the equations they use, and why they work).
If we're using the widening of quarter circles as a yard stick, then Apache Harmony's
BasicStroke does not do very well. If we have a quarter circle from (1,0) to (0,1),
then the control points c1 and c2 should be (1,k) and (k,1) where k = 4*(sqrt(2)-1)/3.
A parallel curve w away from this quarter circle should have control points
(1+w,k+k*w) and (k+k*w,1+w). I traced Apache Harmony's computations on a quarter
circle, and this is not what it outputs. Furthermore, all quarter circles with line
width < 9.65 will be subdivided. My method with the modifications suggested above
doesn't have these problems.

    But perhaps it's better to not interpolate through P(0.5) after all.
In addition to making p4'-p3' and p2'-p1' parallel to p4-p3 and p2-p1, we could
also make p3'-p2' parallel to p3-p2. These constraints leave just one unknown, which
needs to be eliminated. I am not sure how to do this. I thought about making the line
(p2',p3') be a distance of w from (p2,p3) (which is exactly what needs to be done for
(p1',p2') and (p3',p4')) but this doesn't get us what we want for quarter circles. So, finding
the control points would boil down to finding intersections of 3 lines.

Do you have any suggestions on how to do the offsetting for the control points?

Thank you,
Denis.