[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] Request for review: [NEW BUG] Printer spoolers ignore result from spool process

Neil Richards neil.richards at ngmr.net
Thu Oct 20 18:56:50 UTC 2011

Hi all,
Whilst trying to debug a printing problem, I noticed that the (Unix and
PostScript) printer spoolers in Java do not check what the result is of
trying to launch the OS print spooler command (often 'lpr' or 'lp').

As a result, if that exec'd command fails for any reason, that result
(and that reason) is lost, and the user left without any clue that
something is amiss.

To address this, I've created a suggested fix [1], which checks the exit
code for the exec'd command and, if it's bad, throws an exception which
captures any text from the command's error stream.

It does this in both sun.print.PSPrinterJob and sun.print.UnixPrinterJob
(they are very similar in composition and function).

Please review this suggested change.

Thanks, Neil

[1] http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~ngmr/ojdk-201/webrev.01/index.html

--