[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] AAShapePipe concurrency & memory waste

Jim Graham james.graham at oracle.com
Tue Apr 9 17:14:23 UTC 2013

Hi Laurent,

Quick questions - which benchmarks were run before/after?  I see a lot of benchmark running in your Pisces improvement thread, but but none here.

Also, this should be tested on multiple platforms, preferably Linux, Windows and Mac to see how it is affected by differences in the platform runtimes and threading (hopefully minimal).

Finally, Hotspot is supposed to deal very well for small thread-local allocations like the int[4] and Rectangle2D that you optimized.  Was it necessary to cache those at all?  I'm sure the statistics for the allocations show up in a memory profile, but that doesn't mean it is costing us anything - ideally such small allocations are as fast as free and having to deal with caching them in a context will actually lose performance.  It may be that the tile caching saved enough that it might have masked unnecessary or detrimental changes for the smaller objects...

			...jim