[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] sun.java2D.Pisces renderer Performance and Memory enhancements

Richard Bair richard.bair at oracle.com
Wed Apr 17 20:26:11 UTC 2013

> Also, this is with the Java version, right?
>
> Yes, my patch is pure java given as webrev:
>         http://jmmc.fr/~bourgesl/share/java2d-pisces/webrev-1/
>
> We got a decent 2x speedup in FX by porting the version of Open Pisces that you started with to C code (all except on Linux where we couldn't find the right gcc options to make it faster than Hotspot).  So, we have yet to investigate a native version in the JDK which might provide even more gains…

Oleg did more analysis on this and it appears the reason hotspot on Linux was faster than the C version was because on Linux it is -server compiler (c2) whereas on Windows / Mac it is client compiler (c1). Possibly using -server on windows / mac would also have hotspot beating the C version, although that hasn't been tested.

Richard