[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] HiDPIScaledImage and Oracle JDK 7

Konstantin Bulenkov kb at jetbrains.com
Mon Jun 24 09:46:42 UTC 2013

Dear All,

I'm trying to support Retina devices under Oracle JDK (starting from build
1.7.0_40) and I found out that Oracle JDK doesn't provide any support for
HiDPI images. I've described the problem in my blog
http://bulenkov.com/2013/06/23/retina-support-in-oracle-jdk-1-7/ (part 3).
I'll describe the problem shortly here: we (IntelliJ IDEA team) use
BufferedImage objects as a cache for complex and time-consuming painting
operations. This approach works badly on Retina devices because of scaling.
I'm looking for something similar to apple.awt.CImage.HiDPIScaledImage which
works fine with Apple JDK 1.6.*

Any ideas or workaround here?

Thank you.

Konstantin Bulenkov