[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] Custom rendering engines in jk9

Phil Race philip.race at oracle.com
Sat Apr 5 14:46:12 UTC 2014

On 4/4/14 11:33 PM, Andrea Aime wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 5, 2014 at 12:53 AM, Mandy Chung <mandy.chung at oracle.com
> <mailto:mandy.chung at oracle.com>> wrote:

>     Right, the encapsulation will allow you to only access exported
>     types.  For internal APIs (not exported), you can't access them as
>     they are solely implementation-specific and not supported.
>

> Wondering if pre-existing libraries such as JAI and JAI ImageIO would
> keep on working under those rules.
> Will a jar added to lib/ext or the endorsed libraries be subject to
> the same access control?

I am not aware of any internal  SE APIs used by JAI or the Image I/O
plugins from JAI.

As to where standard extensions will be installed, I suppose that if
jre/lib/ext
doesn't exist anymore it would at least break the installers for
standard extensions
which would need to be rebuilt to work with jigsaw. Problematic for some
I suspect.