[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] <AWT Dev> [9] Review Request: JDK-8029455 JLightweightFrame: support scaled painting

Anton V. Tarasov anton.tarasov at oracle.com
Tue Feb 11 18:10:48 UTC 2014

Hi Jim,

On 2/11/14 4:12 AM, Jim Graham wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, on a Mac there is support for @2x images where
> they get loaded and used (at half scale to preserve layout size)
> automatically for you.  In that respect, the added resolution is
> hidden from the regular APIs and the developer doesn't really have to
> deal with the meaning of "size" as it relates to HiDPI.
>
> But, when you buy into HiDPI for your rendering, it looks like their
> system requires you to ask them to calculate the proper extents for
> the back buffer to render it and you are supposed to render it into
> that rectangle (FX is calling convertRectToBacking and then using the
> bounds to control the eventual blit of the back buffers).
>
> If that is the case, then it looks like we have some precedence there
> to have them buy into HiDPI backing stores or compatible images where
> the images report their pixel sizes and they need to manage the
> display size directly (i.e. by using drawImage(x,y,w,h) as we do
> internally).  I think we could make it a little more friendly than
> their "convertRectToBacking" system, but it would mean we wouldn't
> have to pollute the getWidth/Height APIs with conditional return values.
>
> For example, if we added getLayoutWH() or getScaleFactor() to image or
> bimg, then the normal ways of constructing those objects would simply
> return objects where the answers were unscaled and unsurprising.  If
> they went out of their way to request one that was scaled, then those
> new APIs (available on all images, but not very interesting except on
> the specially constructed DPI-aware versions) would have new values to
> help them manage the scaled image.  Unaware code would simply see
> these as overly large images, but it would be up to the developer to
> manage hiding any HiDPI images from any code that they had not
> converted to be DPI aware (just as we are doing here with our internal
> Swing buffer).

Ok, you're still against those "conditional return values" :) I already
tried to convey my thoughts describing the reason why I couldn't simply
throw them away. But Ok, let's do it eventually, then look at the new
version and judge it...

> One thing to keep in mind, though, is that Windows appears to allow
> non-integer scales so I think we should not assume integer scale
> factors in whatever new API we create...

I just sticked to the type of the scale factor returned by
SurfaceData.getDefaultScale() which was int.

Thanks,
Anton.