[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] RFR: JDK-8038340: Cleanup and fix sysroot and devkit handling on Linux and Solaris

Magnus Ihse Bursie magnus.ihse.bursie at oracle.com
Wed Mar 26 11:57:42 UTC 2014

On 2014-03-26 12:51, David Holmes wrote:
> sysroots and tool-chains and dev-kits! oh my!
>
> Seriously, what does all this mean for someone who just wants to build
> the OpenJDK? I use dev-kit for cross-compilation builds but I have no
> idea what these different things are supposed to represent.

You can continue to use --with-devkit as you had. That was one of the
design goals for this change.

The theory is something like this:
* A "sysroot" is a stripped-down root directory of the *target*
platform, containing include files and libraries needed to compile and
link for a target (possibly cross-) platform.
* The toolchain path is one or more directories that contains binaries
that will run on the build platform, but generate code for the target
platform. While the separation is somewhat fuzzy, we use the toolchain
path for "toolchain" binaries, basically, those that compile, link or
otherwise interact with the target platform binaries.
* The extra path is one or more directories that contain any kind of
binaries, e.g. a proper version of zip or grep. If you do not deal with
cross-platform devkits, there is no real difference between extra path
and toolchain path.

And that is what is needed to encapsulate the tools needed to compile
OpenJDK.

/Magnus