[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] <AWT Dev> RFR: Allow using the system libjpeg

Andrew Hughes gnu.andrew at redhat.com
Thu May 22 20:10:30 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

> On 2014-05-22 02:49, Omair Majid wrote:
> > * Andrew Hughes <gnu.andrew at redhat.com> [2014-05-21 20:23]:

Ok, I thought the other ones were already in this form. In that case, leave it
to me and I'll go through them as a whole. I want to look at the option formatting
anyway.

> >> The make documentation is a little unclear here, and makes it sound like
> >> it
> >> will always be set if := or = is used.
> > Indeed, it is unclear. But I discovered through trial and error that
> > given a Makefile like:
> >
> > FOO=-v
> > all:
> > 	gcc ${FOO}
> >
> > these two forms are different:
> >
> > $ FOO=bar make
> >
> > $ make FOO=bar
> >
> > The first one sets the environment variable FOO, and the Makefile
> > overrides it (it runs `gcc -v`). The second passes a command line
> > argument that overrides the value in the Makefile (it runs `gcc foo`).
> This is my experience too. There is the "override" keyword that you can
> use to not allow command line overrides:
>
> override FOO=-v
>
> The above would make both forms behave the same.

Yeah, I was about to mention this. It's described on the next page of the
make manual. So I guess := and ?= are only different if you have the
variable being set elsewhere in the Makefiles.

--
Andrew :)

Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

PGP Key: 248BDC07 (https://keys.indymedia.org/)
Fingerprint = EC5A 1F5E C0AD 1D15 8F1F  8F91 3B96 A578 248B DC07