[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] <AWT Dev> Review request for 8029339 Custom MultiResolution image support on HiDPI displays

Hendrik Schreiber hs at tagtraum.com
Tue Apr 7 09:28:41 UTC 2015

> On Apr 1, 2015, at 15:46, Alexander Scherbatiy <alexandr.scherbatiy at oracle.com> wrote:
>
> On 3/27/2015 12:48 AM, Jim Graham wrote:
>> Hi Alexander,
>
>   http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~alexsch/8029339/webrev.07/
>   I have updated the fix according to the comments except RenderingHints.

Alexandr,

I've noticed that the MultiResolutionToolkitImage only supports a high and regular resolution image, but not an arbitrary number of images like most (all?) of the other classes/interfaces.

Given, that when you create a native application in XCode 6.2 today, you already include @2x and @3x image variants and that Apple apparently plans on shipping 8k monitors soon (http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/06/lg-display-imac-8k/), restricting ourselves to just two variants seems to make this code out-of-date before JDK9 ships.

Therefore, I'd like to suggest that we support an arbitrary number of resolutions variants in Toolkit images. I guess the OS X naming convention for this is self-explanatory. Not sure about Windows.

Cheers,

-hendrik

PS: java.desktop/macosx/native/libsplashscreen/splashscreen_sys.m would have to be adjusted to support @3x (or other variants) as well.