[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] RFR 8144446: Automate the Marlin crash test

Sergey Bylokhov Sergey.Bylokhov at oracle.com
Wed Dec 9 12:57:57 UTC 2015

On 09/12/15 02:12, Jim Graham wrote:
> Hi Laurent,
>
> If this were testing a bug that crossed a number of implementation
> boundaries such that any number of engineers might make a change that
> could cause it to fail, then I might agree with the need to run it
> whenever any automated run of tests occurs.
>
> But, the only thing that will cause this to fail would be if someone
> modified Marlin - which is basically you, and maybe 1 or 2 other
> engineers who would only go in for mostly logistical coding reasons, not
> for any changes that might affect the algorithm.  Those engineers should
> be running the tests with the -manual option specified for testing their
> changes.
>
> But, if someone changes some code in core libs, or Swing, or somewhere
> else not related to Marlin - you've just added 30 seconds to the amount
> of time that it takes them to test for any regressions.  Is that
> appropriate?

My opinion yes. I doubt that someone will try to run manual
tests(especially in case of future backports). The things which can be
done automatically should be done in this way. Note that core libs team
will not be affected because the jtreg now have a TEST.groups which
allow run the test for one specific area like jdk_math, jdk_nio,
jdk_lang, jdk_desktop etc.(the full list is in the jdk/test/TEST.groups)

I am not sure, but should these tests be marlin specific? I do not see
that they have some marlin specific options and they can cover
other(old/future) renders as well.

--
Best regards, Sergey.