[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] [9] Review Request: 8074028 Remove API references to java.awt.peer

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Wed Mar 4 12:51:49 UTC 2015

On 04/03/2015 12:37, Sergey Bylokhov wrote:
> Hello.
> Please review the fix for jdk 9.
> There are a number of public API whichreference the unsupported
> java.awt.peer interfaces.
>
> public java.awt.Component.getPeer() @deprecated 1.1
> public java.awt.Font.getPeer() @deprecated 1.1
> public java.awt.MenuComponent.getPeer() @deprecated 1.1

I don't know this area so I don't feel qualified to do a thorough review
of the changes. However I welcome the changes, this is long standing
technical debt and important that we address this as part of the move to
modules.

I note that Font::getPeer is changed to private, hence something try to
access it outside of the Font class will get an IllegalAccessError as
opposed to NoSuchMethodError for the outright removal in the other
cases. Did you consider renaming to something else, say private FontPeer
getFontPeer so that it is consistent with the removal of the other two
methods?

I note that you might not have caught all tests but I would assume that
any missed tests should fail. Perhaps there are other failures that are
potentially hiding tests using getPeer?

-Alan