[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] Provide a way to make MultiResolutionImage screen compatible

Hendrik Schreiber hs at tagtraum.com
Thu Mar 26 16:21:27 UTC 2015

> On Mar 26, 2015, at 16:32, Alexander Scherbatiy <alexandr.scherbatiy at oracle.com> wrote:
>
> On 3/26/2015 3:49 PM, Hendrik Schreiber wrote:
[...]

>> Therefore, in the spirit of https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8059943, I'd like to suggest, to either move sun.awt.image.MultiResolutionImage to some java.* package, so that one can write an implementation that is fast.
>    There is an open discussion about it which you could join: http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/2d-dev/2015-March/005187.html
>    JDK-8029339 Custom MultiResolution image support on HiDPI displays
>        https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8029339

Thanks for the pointer.

>> Or provide a standard way to ensure that Toolkit-loaded images are screen-compatible. Perhaps a little tweak in sun.awt.image.ImageRepresentation or the code that calls it is all that's needed (i.e. a change of the default ColorModel in ToolkitImage). Or is that not possible because of compatibility reasons?

Nevertheless, I wouldn't mind some feedback regarding converting ToolKitImages easily to something that can be drawn faster (TYPE_INT_ARGB_PRE). Don't we all want that?
Or asked the other way around: Why isn't TYPE_INT_ARGB_PRE the default? To be more flexible?

Cheers,

-hendrik