[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] Provide a way to make MultiResolutionImage screen compatible

Hendrik Schreiber hs at tagtraum.com
Fri Mar 27 10:48:43 UTC 2015

> On Mar 26, 2015, at 22:52, Jim Graham <james.graham at oracle.com> wrote:
> On 3/26/15 9:21 AM, Hendrik Schreiber wrote:
>> Nevertheless, I wouldn't mind some feedback regarding converting ToolKitImages easily to something that can be drawn faster (TYPE_INT_ARGB_PRE). Don't we all want that?
>> Or asked the other way around: Why isn't TYPE_INT_ARGB_PRE the default? To be more flexible?
>
> Toolkit images manage their own internal storage formats.  We shouldn't be requiring applications to adapt them for a display.  If we are managing the internal formats wrong then that is a bug to be fixed, not a reason for a new API or a new mechanism...

Agreed and thanks for the comment.

I dug a little deeper to get a better understanding of what's going on.

As Jim pointed out, the ToolKit uses ImageDecoders to decode formats like Gif, PNG, Jpeg, XBM.
To this issue the only one that's really relevant is PNG, as it supports a full alpha channel (not sure about XBM).

Looking at the PNGImageDecoder's code, it uses ColorModel.getRGBdefault() as its color model with isAlphaPreMultiplied() == false for RGB, RGBA and GrayscaleA.

If my understanding of the current drawing pipeline is correct, RGBA without premultiplication is slow as premultiplication is done on-the-fly when drawing—at least for OS X and OpenGL, as pointed out in https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8059943

So to me it would make sense, if we changed the PNGImageDecoder's code so that for RGBA and GrayscaleA we use the premultiplied ColorModel. I believe the necessary code changes would be small. E.g. in PNGImageDecoder.produceImage():

case COLOR|ALPHA|(8<<3):
    wPixels[col+rowOffset] =
         ((rowByteBuffer[spos  ]&0xFF)<<16)
       | ((rowByteBuffer[spos+1]&0xFF)<< 8)
       | ((rowByteBuffer[spos+2]&0xFF)    )
       | ((rowByteBuffer[spos+3]&0xFF)<<24);
    spos+=4;
    break;

would change into something like this:

case COLOR|ALPHA|(8<<3):
    final int alpha = rowByteBuffer[spos+3]&0xFF
    wPixels[col+rowOffset] =
         (((rowByteBuffer[spos  ]&0xFF)*alpha/0xFF)<<16)
       | (((rowByteBuffer[spos+1]&0xFF)*alpha/0xFF)<< 8)
       | (((rowByteBuffer[spos+2]&0xFF)*alpha/0xFF)    )
       | alpha<<24;
    spos+=4;
    break;

Of course the color model would also need to be set to a different value (isAlphaPreMultiplied() == true).

Assuming that most folks use PNGs with transparency for their buttons and other UI graphics, this should make drawing of those items faster. And when it comes to MultiResolutionImages, one could use the ones produced by the Toolkit and wouldn't have to create premultiplied version manually somehow (which is what sparked my interest in this).

What is beyond me is the question, whether premultiplying has any disadvantages. I am aware of none, but that does not mean a lot.

Cheers,

-hendrik