[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] RFR: JDK-8003593: build-infra: Paths to optional platform-specific files should not be hardwired to src/closed

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Sun Jul 3 21:54:47 UTC 2016

On 2/07/2016 4:16 AM, Erik Joelsson wrote:

> On 2016-07-01 19:59, Phil Race wrote:
>> erik,
>>
>> SUPPRESS_CUSTOM_SOURCE"
>> FWIW "CLOSED" implies better to me what this is about than "CUSTOM".
>> Can't this be SUPPRESS_CLOSED_SOURCE ?
>>
> "custom" is a term that we have been using for a while now instead of
> "closed" in the open parts of the build to refer to any kind of custom
> addition to OpenJDK. There are quite a few instances of macros and
> variables named that way, mostly in configure but also in the makefiles.
> If we were to change this variable to "closed", then the other places
> should go with it to match. I think that's a separate change that
> require a separate discussion.

Since we started supporting the oracle "closed" builds in the shared
code the term we have used is CUSTOM because this was always intended to
be a general customization mechanism that anyone could use to combine
their own "customizations" with the OpenJDK sources. "closed" is just
the Oracle name for their customizations.

Cheers,
David