[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] [9] Review Request- JDK-8152971- JNI Warning with -Xcheck:jni

Prahalad Kumar Narayanan prahalad.kumar.narayanan at oracle.com
Mon Jul 11 19:02:44 UTC 2016

Hello Everyone

Good day to you.

A quick follow-up on the bug fix for : JDK-8152971     JNI Warning with -Xcheck:jni

First, Thanks to Phil for the time in review and detailed explanation.

To answer the question -
     "The issue with local refs is that you want to avoid too many so there is no need to do that release before return explicitly since the VM will do it for us. same for the direct calls to deletelocalref. Do you get any JNI warnings if you remove these ? "
Answer :
       Yes., I see the warnings if DeleteLocalRef is not invoked on objects created in the callback functions.
                 It is in these callback functions that many objects get created without a corresponding release api.
       No warnings were seen when releaseGdiFontMapReferences() was taken out.
                 This function is removed in the latest change.
                 The behavior could be attributed to two points
                        a. FontMap having most of its references to jObjects that are on stack (as arguments to function).
                        b. Very few references to local objects are created in the parent JNI function ( 2 - 3 classIDs )

To Summarize the Changes
      . In all callback functions, the DeleteLocalRef calls have been reorganized to avoid cluttering before return statements.
      . releaseGdiFontMapReferences() function has been removed.
                The only font map reference that is released in latest code - is the reference to jClass object along with other classID references. This could be avoided but has been retained as a safe measure.

The changes are available under webrev link:
      http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~pnarayanan/8152971/webrev.04/

Kindly review at your convenient time and provide your suggestions.

Thanks for your review & feedback
Have a good day

Prahalad N.