[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] RFR 8144938: Handle properly coordinate overflow in Marlin Renderer

Laurent Bourgès bourges.laurent at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 15:16:48 UTC 2016

Jim,

Here is another webrev:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~lbourges/marlin/marlin-8144938.3/

Changes:
- restored pathClosed flag to fix the 'hour glass' issue below
- added pathClosedTest in CrashNaNTest

Comments below:

> The new tests look good.

Thanks.

> There is one logic error in the new version of the degenerate coordinate
> filter.
>
> It is valid to have a PATH_CLOSE immediately followed by a <geom>To call
> and the subpath will start at the previous close/moveto point.  For example:
>
> moveto 40, 40
> lineto  0,  0
> lineto 80,  0
> closepath
> lineto 80, 80
> lineto  0, 80
> closepath
>
> should draw an hourglass, but with your fix it will lose the lower half
> because the lineto after the close will be turned into a moveto (and the
> second subpath then becomes empty.

I tested my previous patch and you were right: it was buggy.

> I think it should be fine just getting rid of the subpath=false in the
> close case.

I prefered reverting to the ductus approach even if your proposal seems
working.

I agree my patch is a bit tricky but it explicitely emits a moveTo() after
pathClosed() instead of relying to the path consumer to implement the same
behaviour (in dasher / stroker)...

It is arguable, though, if we have closepath followed by a NaN if perhaps
> that NaN should break the subpath from the previous close, but I don't
> think that is in keeping with the current philosophy of simply pretending
> that bad coordinates don't exist.  Essentially, the close of a previously
> valid path gives us a valid start to the new subpath regardless if it
> immediately feeds into more bad coordinates - it still started its run on a
> valid point.  So, I'd argue that simply passing along the prior value of
> the subpath flag would be appropriate, whether it is true or false (and,
> obviously, also closing the path in the consumer if it is true)...

Please tell me what solution do you prefer.
I can adopt yours which seems really simple.

Laurent