[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] HiDPI support issues on Windows

Anton Tarasov anton.tarasov at jetbrains.com
Tue Oct 4 20:01:55 UTC 2016

Hi Jim,

On 10/4/2016 1:05 AM, Jim Graham wrote:
> Hi Anton,
>
> Yes, the numbers you are describing are consistent with performing
> that standard boilerplate using an origin/translate that is not
> exactly at an integer pixel location.
>
> My comments about our mechanisms not allowing for scale-aware
> allocations can be dealt with in a couple of ways:
>
> - Add some internal pixel-based interfaces for scale aware code, like
> RepaintManager (and consider making them public for applications to use)
Ok, that's clear.

> - Simply ask for a large enough integer to make sure you got the
> entire clip to fit in it and let the allocator give you an even larger
> image. It doesn't matter if you paint into a larger image (other than
> having to allocate an extra row/column on occasion). After that, as
> long as you set the translates and clip to exact pixel locations
> within the temp image, you should be fine.  You also have to deal with
> limiting your blit to the destination, probably using drawImage(dxy12,
> sxy12) variant
That's not quite clear, sorry. Are you talking about a scale-aware
image? How does its size helps if we still translate/clip?

Anyway, I roughly tried your approach mentioned in the previous e-mail,
but forcing RM to paint via offscreen BufferedImage, not volatile (just
for a quick check).
It solved the shift issue of the demo listed in 8162350, which is cool.
It also solved the traces of InternalFrame and menu in SwingSet2.
Scrolling still traces (I suppose it should be resolved in
JViewport/blitting).
Also, the problem with primitives rendering
(http://cr.openjdk.java.net/%7Eant/hidpi_pics/Scaling-150-percent.png)
is still there. But it seems to relate to line-thikness
(border-thickness) rounding inaccuracy. What we can do with that?...

Thanks,
Anton.