[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] RFR: 8170950: Text is displayed in bold when fonts are installed into symlinked folder

Dmitry Batrak dmitry.batrak at jetbrains.com
Mon Jan 30 08:53:41 UTC 2017

Hello,

I'd like to propose a fix for JDK-8170950.
  webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dmarkov/8170950/webrev.00/

I have only a Contributor status, so I'll require a sponsor.

The issue is a special case of JDK-8012351 (fixed previously) - when font
files
are located in symlinked folders. Physical components of logical fonts are
registered 'directly', but other fonts are registered with resolving of
symbolic
links (see registerFontsOnPath invocation in SunFontManager.loadFonts()).
So paths comparison in FontFamily.isFromSameSource doesn't always work
currently. The proposal is to add symlink resolution to
FontFamily.isFromSameSource before path comparison. There are probably other
ways to fix the issue - by changing the way fonts are registered, but this
one
seems to be safer in terms of possible regressions.

Best regards,
Dmitry Batrak