[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] [11] RFR: [JDK-5064835] TextMeasurer/deleteChar function fails when deleting more than one characters

Prahalad Kumar Narayanan prahalad.kumar.narayanan at oracle.com
Mon Jan 8 06:41:48 UTC 2018

Hello Sergey & Jay

Thank you for your time in review & inputs.
Please find my views herewith:

. On Performance:
      . TextMeasurer's Constructor invokes : initAll(AttributedCharacterIterator text) method
      . initAll(AttributedCharacterIterator ) method further instantiates
            . fChars : new char[length]
            . fBidi : new Bidi
            . fParagraph : new StyledParagraph and so on.
      . The concerned method- deleteChar (and insertChar), invoke the same "initAll" method when number of characters deleted or inserted is more than one.
      . So from performance perspective, there shouldn't be a major difference between creating a new TextMeasurer and using deleteChar to delete more than few characters.

      . When methods invoke initAll, the text and its attributes are re-initialized and we would lose the text attributes originally set on TextMeasurer.
      . This is the reason why the proposed fix doesn't allow re-initialization and throws IllegalArgumentException when attempted to delete multiple chars.

. On Modifying insertChar method's behavior
      . As Jay suggested, we should fix insertChar method's behavior to align with deleteChar method.
      . I was not sure whether we should make changes to insertChar as a separate bug /or alongside the current fix.

      . Nevertheless, I 've created a new webrev with the changes included for insertChar as well.
      . Impact from changes to insertChar are as follows-
            . No new regressions seen with JTreg test cases.
            . The change in insertChar introduces 4 JCK test failures making total count of JCK test failures to 6
            . JCK tests that failed are:
                     api/java_awt/Font/TextMeasurer/CharTest (Test cases: 1, 2, 5)
                     api/java_awt/Font/LineBreakTextMeasurer/CharTest (Test cases: 1, 2, 4)
      . All the above test cases can be easily fixed with specification updated for the methods.

Kindly review the updated changes at your convenience.
Link: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~pnarayanan/5064835/webrev.01/

Thank you once again
Have a good day

Prahalad N.