[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] [11] RFR JDK-8191023: PngReader throws NegativeArraySizeException when keyword length exceeds chunk size

Prahalad Kumar Narayanan prahalad.kumar.narayanan at oracle.com
Tue Jan 23 07:17:41 UTC 2018

Hello Jay

The existing verification of CRC value with already stored value is only to ensure we have processed right amount of data.
This is done at the end and is explained in the comments at Line 853. It does not validate whether a chunk (length/ data) is valid upfront.

Here is the code:
 728                 try {
 729                     stream.mark();
 730                     stream.seek(stream.getStreamPosition() + chunkLength);
 731                     chunkCRC = stream.readInt();
 732                     stream.reset();
 733                 } catch (IOException e) {
 734                     throw new IIOException("Invalid chunk length " + chunkLength);
 735                 }
 736
 737                 switch (chunkType) {

 853                 // double check whether all chunk data were consumed
 854                 if (chunkCRC != stream.readInt()) {
 855                     throw new IIOException("Failed to read a chunk of type " +
 856                             chunkType);
 857                 }

My suggestion was to -
. 'Generate' CRC from Chunk data and compare it with the retrieved value at Line 731 'before' proceeding to process any of the chunks.
. In mal-formed chunks (corrupted chunk length /or chunk data), the CRC check will fail thus giving an effective way to identify a valid chunk.
. Many of the if (...) conditions that 've been added to parse_<Chunk> methods can be avoided with CRC check done upfront.

Hope this helps.

Thank you
Have a good day

Prahalad N.