[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] RFR: JDK-8196218: [linux] libfontmanager should be linked against headless awt library

Erik Joelsson erik.joelsson at oracle.com
Fri Jan 26 16:54:31 UTC 2018

On 2018-01-26 08:44, Phil Race wrote:
> When this was fixed for Solaris
> the observed problem was not building (although it could have been)
> but at runtime.
> I think you can verify what you've done with "ldd" ..
>
> This patch adds awt_headless.so, but does not remove awt.so.
>
> Perhaps the line
>
> LIBS_unix := -lawt -ljava -ljvm $(LIBM) $(LIBCXX)
> After your fix I expect "ldd" should not need to show awt .. just
> awt_headless
>
> ie linux should not have this -lawt dependency any more and the -lawt
> dependency should be specific to windows + mac ..

So we already use -lawt_headless on solaris and aix, then I really can't
see a reason not to do the same for linux.

> On 01/26/2018 08:10 AM, Severin Gehwolf wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Could I please get a review for this rather small patch which
>> originally occurred for us on JDK 8 (Fedora) which recently switched to
>> building with "-Wl,-z,defs" linker flags. The result was a build
>> failure, due to unresolved symbols. Indeed libfontmanager.so should
>> have -lawt_headless in the list of dependent libs as symbols such as
>> AWTLoadFont come from libawt_headless.so, not libawt.so on Linux. Some
>> more details are on the bug.
>>
>> webrev:
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sgehwolf/webrevs/JDK-8196218/webrev.01/
>>
>> Testing: Build fails with configure option
>>           --with-extra-ldflags="-Xlinker -z -Xlinker defs"
>>           prior the fix. Succeeds after.
>>
>> Question for 2d-folks/build-dev folks:
> I don't know about this, build folks probably know.

This is from way ahead of my time. The filtering is simply the
build-infra way of achieving the same thing as in the old build system.
Here is the corresponding code in jdk7:

$ hg annotate make/sun/font/Makefile
    0: #
    0: # Created without -z defs on linux