[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] RFR: JDK-8196218: [linux] libfontmanager should be linked against headless awt library

Phil Race philip.race at oracle.com
Fri Jan 26 17:18:37 UTC 2018

On 01/26/2018 09:02 AM, Severin Gehwolf wrote:
> Any thoughts on the LDFLAGS filtering? Shouldn't this only be done on
> platforms that need it? solaris, linux, aix should already be fine
> without filtering.

Only to say I really don't understand it :-)
But I think it is historical baggage.

Erik said :-
 > I would assume that at some point there was a reason for not adding
-lawt_headless to libfontmanager

There was a time (1.4) when ONLY Solaris had a separate headless library.
I alluded to this in https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8071710
Headless for Linux was added in 1.5.

So we may be dealing with some really old technical debt.