[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] [11] RFR JDK-7031957: DIB header of type BITMAPV2INFOHEADER & BITMAPV3INFOHEADER is not supported in BMPImageReader

Jayathirth D V jayathirth.d.v at oracle.com
Tue Mar 20 07:15:35 UTC 2018

HI Phil,

Please find my observation:

In case of DIB header type BITMAPINFOHEADER/ BITMAPV4HEADER/ BITMAPV5HEADER, Microsoft documentation(https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd183376(v=vs.85).aspx ) mentions that mask values are valid only when compression type is BI_BITFIELDS. When compression type is BI_RGB which ii no compression, Microsoft document mentions that

1)      For 16 bpp : "The relative intensities of red, green, and blue are represented with five bits for each color component. The value for blue is in the least significant five bits, followed by five bits each for green and red. The most significant bit is not used.". So basically it should be RGB555.

2)      For 32 bpp : "Each DWORD in the bitmap array represents the relative intensities of blue, green, and red for a pixel. The value for blue is in the least significant 8 bits, followed by 8 bits each for green and red. The high byte in each DWORD is not used". So basically it should be XRGB8888.

This is why we have redMask = 0x7C00, greenMask = 0x3E0, blueMask = 0x1F in case of 16bpp and redMask   = 0x00FF0000, greenMask = 0x0000FF00, blueMask  = 0x000000FFfor 32bpp for all the three standard formats BITMAPINFOHEADER, BITMAPV4HEADER and BITMAPV5HEADER.

Since BITMAPV2INFOHEADER & BITMAPV3INFOHEADER support falls in between that of other Microsoft documented DIB header types it is good that we follow the same approach in case of BITMAPV2INFOHEADER & BITMAPV3INFOHEADER also.

Please let us know your inputs.

Thanks,

Jay