[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] RFR: 8272805: Avoid looking up standard charsets [v3]

Sergey Bylokhov serb at openjdk.java.net
Mon Aug 30 23:46:15 UTC 2021

> This is the continuation of JDK-8233884, JDK-8271456, and JDK-8272120.
>
> In many places standard charsets are looked up via their names, for example:
> absolutePath.getBytes("UTF-8");
>
> This could be done more efficiently(up to x20 time faster) with use of java.nio.charset.StandardCharsets:
> absolutePath.getBytes(StandardCharsets.UTF_8);
>
> The later variant also makes the code cleaner, as it is known not to throw UnsupportedEncodingException in contrary to the former variant.
>
> This change includes:
>  * demo/utils
>  * jdk.xx packages
>  * Some places were missed in the previous changes. I have found it by tracing the calls to the Charset.forName() by executing tier1,2,3 and desktop tests.
>
> Some performance discussion: https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/pull/5063
>
> Code excluded in this fix: the Xerces library(should be fixed upstream), J2DBench(should be compatible to 1.4), some code in the network(the change there are not straightforward, will do it later).
>
> Tested by the tier1/tier2/tier3 tests on Linux/Windows/macOS.

Sergey Bylokhov has updated the pull request with a new target base due to a merge or a rebase. The incremental webrev excludes the unrelated changes brought in by the merge/rebase. The pull request contains 15 additional commits since the last revision:

 - Merge branch 'master' into standard-encodings-in-non-public-modules
 - Update the usage of Files.readAllLines()
 - Update datatransfer
 - Merge branch 'master' into standard-encodings-in-non-public-modules
 - Merge branch 'master' into standard-encodings-in-non-public-modules
 - Fix related imports
 - Merge branch 'master' into standard-encodings-in-non-public-modules
 - Cleanup UnsupportedEncodingException
 - Update PacketStream.java
 - Rollback TextTests, should be compatible with jdk1.4
 - ... and 5 more: https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk/compare/22865adf...79829ec8

Changes:
  - new: https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk/pull/5210/files/e7127644..79829ec8

Webrevs:
 - full: https://webrevs.openjdk.java.net/?repo=jdk&pr=5210&range=02
 - incr: https://webrevs.openjdk.java.net/?repo=jdk&pr=5210&range=01-02

  Stats: 9423 lines in 339 files changed: 5247 ins; 1917 del; 2259 mod
  Fetch: git fetch https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk pull/5210/head:pull/5210