[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] RFR: 8266459: Implement JEP 411: Deprecate the Security Manager for Removal [v6]

Alan Bateman alanb at openjdk.java.net
Tue Jun 1 12:50:29 UTC 2021

On Mon, 31 May 2021 15:02:57 GMT, Weijun Wang <weijun at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Please review this implementation of [JEP 411](https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/411).
>>
>> The code change is divided into 3 commits. Please review them one by one.
>>
>> 1. https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/commit/576161d15423f58281e384174d28c9f9be7941a1 The essential change for this JEP, including the `@Deprecate` annotations and spec change. It also update the default value of the `java.security.manager` system property to "disallow", and necessary test change following this update.
>> 2. https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/commit/26a54a835e9f84aa528740a7c5c35d07355a8a66 Manual changes to several files so that the next commit can be generated programatically.
>> 3. https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/commit/eb6c566ff9207974a03a53335e0e697cffcf0950 Automatic changes to other source files to avoid javac warnings on deprecation for removal
>>
>> The 1st and 2nd commits should be reviewed carefully. The 3rd one is generated programmatically, see the comment below for more details. If you are only interested in a portion of the 3rd commit and would like to review it as a separate file, please comment here and I'll generate an individual webrev.
>>
>> Due to the size of this PR, no attempt is made to update copyright years for any file to minimize unnecessary merge conflict.
>>
>> Furthermore, since the default value of `java.security.manager` system property is now "disallow", most of the tests calling `System.setSecurityManager()` need to launched with `-Djava.security.manager=allow`. This is covered in a different PR at https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/pull/4071.
>>
>> Update: the deprecation annotations and javadoc tags, build, compiler, core-libs, hotspot, i18n, jmx, net, nio, security, and serviceability are reviewed. Rest are 2d, awt, beans, sound, and swing.
>
> Weijun Wang has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:
>
>   default behavior reverted to allow

System.setSecurityManagerDirect looks a bit ugly now. Can this be renamed to implSetSecurityManager and avoid the line break in the  middle of the declaration?

The usage of System.err usage in setSecurityManager also needs to be re-examined as this will run arbitrary code when System.err can be changed. To fix this will require capturing the stream at startup (as was done with the illegal access logger). It's okay to integrate with what you have for the first push and we can fix this issue with System.err when the warning message is changed to the intended message.