[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] RFR: 8253795: Implementation of JEP 391: macOS/AArch64 Port [v12]

Anton Kozlov akozlov at openjdk.java.net
Tue Mar 9 17:58:21 UTC 2021

On Tue, 9 Feb 2021 09:23:50 GMT, Stefan Karlsson <stefank at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Anton Kozlov has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:
>>
>>   Update signal handler part for debugger
>
> src/hotspot/share/runtime/thread.cpp line 2515:
>
>> 2513: void JavaThread::check_special_condition_for_native_trans(JavaThread *thread) {
>> 2514:   // Enable WXWrite: called directly from interpreter native wrapper.
>> 2515:   MACOS_AARCH64_ONLY(ThreadWXEnable wx(WXWrite, thread));
>
> FWIW, I personally think that adding these MACOS_AARCH64_ONLY usages at the call sites increase the line-noise in the affected functions. I think I would have preferred a version:
> ThreadWXEnable(WXMode new_mode, Thread* thread = NULL) {
>   MACOS_AARCH64_ONLY(initialize(new_mode, thread);) {}
> void initialize(...); // Implementation in thread_bsd_aarch64.cpp (alt. inline.hpp)
> With that said, I'm fine with taking this discussion as a follow-up.

The former version used no such macros. I like that now it's clear the W^X management is relevant to macos/aarch64 only. I see the point to move the pre-processor condition into the class implementation. But I think it will bring a bit of inconsistency, as the rest of W^X implementation is explicitly guarded by preprocessor conditionals. I've also tried to push macro conditionals as far as possible down to implementation, providing a kind of generalized W^X interface. That required a few artificial decisions, e.g. how would we call the mode we execute on the rest of platforms with write and execute allowed, WXWriteExec?.. I abandoned that attempt.