[OpenJDK 2D-Dev] RFR: 8263984: Invalidate printServices when there are no printers

Alexey Ivanov aivanov at openjdk.java.net
Tue Mar 23 13:54:40 UTC 2021

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 13:45:33 GMT, Alexey Ivanov <aivanov at openjdk.org> wrote:

> When `getAllPrinterNames()` returns null, the list of `printServices` is assigned a new empty array without invalidating old services which were in the array before.
>
> The old print services should be invalidated.

src/java.desktop/windows/classes/sun/print/PrintServiceLookupProvider.java line 116:

> 114:     private synchronized void refreshServices() {
> 115:         String[] printers = getAllPrinterNames();
> 116:         if (printers == null) {

`getAllPrinterNames` returns null when an error occurs or when there are no printers in the system.

Up for discussion:
If an error occurs, we may leave the old services without invalidating them. In this case, it is necessary to distinguish between the error and the lack of printers in the system. Does this make any sense?