[aarch64-port-dev ] [Roland Westrelin] Re: Aarch64 port for ZGC, so far

Stuart Monteith stuart.monteith at linaro.org
Thu Nov 29 18:34:06 UTC 2018

Hello,
    Thanks for looking at this Roland, Andrew. I don't believe I
understand C2 well enough to understand what the solution would be
here in the general case.

I'll add these as tests in a new revision, in the meantime I'm testing
with your patch, and I've come across another case. I've been running
with SPECjbb-2015, as it generates sufficient garbage with enough
complex methods to give some confidence at this early stage. There are
a number of CompareAndSwap variants called here. The example I
included was there for java.lang.class, so failed fairly early on.

The current issue I find is the same trailing_membar assert:

#  Internal Error
(/home/stuart.monteith/repos/jdk/src/hotspot/cpu/aarch64/aarch64.ad:1435),
pid=30296, tid=30392
#  assert(ldst->trailing_membar() != __null) failed: expected trailing membar

With this in the replay:

compile java/util/concurrent/ConcurrentLinkedQueue offer
(Ljava/lang/Object;)Z -1 4 inline 16 0 -1
java/util/concurrent/ConcurrentLinkedQueue offer (Ljava/lang/Object;)Z
1 5 java/util/Objects requireNonNull
(Ljava/lang/Object;)Ljava/lang/Object; 1 8
java/util/concurrent/ConcurrentLinkedQueue$Node <init>
(Ljava/lang/Object;)V 2 1 java/lang/Object <init> ()V 2 9
java/lang/invoke/VarHandleGuards guard_LL_V
(Ljava/lang/invoke/VarHandle;Ljava/lang/Object;Ljava/lang/Object;Ljava/lang/invoke/VarHandle$AccessDescriptor;)V
3 30 java/lang/invoke/VarForm getMemberName
(I)Ljava/lang/invoke/MemberName; 3 33
java/lang/invoke/VarHandleReferences$FieldInstanceReadWrite set
(Ljava/lang/invoke/VarHandleReferences$FieldInstanceReadWrite;Ljava/lang/Object;Ljava/lang/Object;)V
4 11 java/util/Objects requireNonNull
(Ljava/lang/Object;)Ljava/lang/Object; 1 39
java/lang/invoke/VarHandleGuards guard_LLL_Z
(Ljava/lang/invoke/VarHandle;Ljava/lang/Object;Ljava/lang/Object;Ljava/lang/Object;Ljava/lang/invoke/VarHandle$AccessDescriptor;)Z
2 34 java/lang/invoke/VarForm getMemberName
(I)Ljava/lang/invoke/MemberName; 2 37
java/lang/invoke/VarHandleReferences$FieldInstanceReadWrite
compareAndSet (Ljava/lang/invoke/VarHandleReferences$FieldInstanceReadWrite;Ljava/lang/Object;Ljava/lang/Object;Ljava/lang/Object;)Z
3 11 java/util/Objects requireNonNull
(Ljava/lang/Object;)Ljava/lang/Object; 1 57
java/lang/invoke/VarHandleGuards guard_LLL_Z
(Ljava/lang/invoke/VarHandle;Ljava/lang/Object;Ljava/lang/Object;Ljava/lang/Object;Ljava/lang/invoke/VarHandle$AccessDescriptor;)Z
2 34 java/lang/invoke/VarForm getMemberName
(I)Ljava/lang/invoke/MemberName; 2 37
java/lang/invoke/VarHandleReferences$FieldInstanceReadWrite
weakCompareAndSet
(Ljava/lang/invoke/VarHandleReferences$FieldInstanceReadWrite;Ljava/lang/Object;Ljava/lang/Object;Ljava/lang/Object;)Z
3 11 java/util/Objects requireNonNull
(Ljava/lang/Object;)Ljava/lang/Object;

ConcurrentLinkedQueue.offer is different before as is calling
VarHandle instead of Unsafe, and it calls weakCompareAndSet
conditionally depending on the result of a CompareAndSet. I suppose
there is different graph for the matcher to handle, but I don't have
that right now.

I'm writing a separate testcase that calls ConcurrentLinkedQueue, as
there are a few more conditions that need to be handled.
As well as doing that, I'll continue looking for interesting cases, I
can exclude failing cases as I encounter them.

Thanks again,
    Stuart