New JEP: Switch Expressions for the Java Language

Jan Lahoda jan.lahoda at oracle.com
Fri Dec 8 16:35:12 UTC 2017

Hi,

I've just pushed a crude prototype of switch expression and case null to
the amber/amber repository, branch switch. There are probably many bugs
in the prototype.

Supported are:
-switch expression (using syntax from the JEP, including the block
expression); target typing still needs some work; exhaustiveness for
enums should work (but the error thrown for incompatible changes is not
ideal and needs some work).
-case null: (does not yet use the indy desugaring scheme Brian sent though)
-comma separated case alternatives in the statement switch, not yet
supported in the expression switch.

throw expressions not supported by the prototype.

Please let me know if there are any comments.

Thanks,
     Jan