[lambda-leftovers] Underscore parameter for abstract/native methods

John Rose john.r.rose at oracle.com
Fri Jun 30 22:04:05 UTC 2017

On Jun 30, 2017, at 2:38 PM, Brian Goetz <brian.goetz at oracle.com> wrote:

> And once we bring in methods, it raises tooling questions like "what about Javadoc." So maybe the last step was the problem.

If it's only javadoc that's the problem, then that's an easy call:
we should Inconvenience the javadoc authors if it will help a
tiny fraction of java developers.

In fact, even if it is 20 tools (and it won't—e.g., reflection already
handles missing parameter names), it's still arguably a pure
question of whether it's good for developers, as long as the
effect on tool writers is a temporary irritant.

— John