RE : Expanding the "expression syntax"

tom L tom_L64 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 5 18:34:21 UTC 2023

Hello,

This sounds like a cool idea, but why use a keyword (do) at the first place ?
I read the discussion, which mostly was about the do keyword, but I feel like there shouldn’t be a keyword at the first place.
int foo = {
                yield 5 ;
}
Blocks already exist, and while they do not return anything currently, you could make so if there is a yield, it would mean it can return a value basically.
It’s similar in my opinion to how you can assign the result of a void method, but you can from any other return type, except that here it’s inferred.
It can also be seen as a generalization of a switch statement.
(Sorry if my vocabulary is off, but I hope you see my point)

Great regards