Allow case constants as nested patterns?

Brian Goetz brian.goetz at oracle.com
Tue Nov 7 14:30:30 UTC 2023

To add to this: there are several categories of questions that we wanted
to settle before considering constant patterns (which would (almost?)
complete the rehabilitation of switch):

  - Syntactic.  If `0` is both a literal and a pattern, then locutions
like `f(0)` can either be method invocations or pattern matches.  It was
not obvious in the early days whether such ambiguities would pose
roadblocks for using patterns in other contexts.  This is seeming more
viable now but we didn't want to foreclose this path too early.

  - User perception.  Related to the above, if it is not obvious what
`f(0)` means, even if the grammar can be parsed unambiguously, it might
make code harder to read.  So we might hold out for a syntax that is
somewhat wordier but more obvious.

  - Semantics.  At the beginning, it was very much not clear (to the
point where our first ideas would have been pretty wrong) what the
semantics of matching a constant are.  JEP 455 has been working through
those issues, so we believe we now have a firm foundation for the
meaning of `0` as a pattern.

  - Alignment with switch.  The "obvious" meaning of constant patterns
may or may not align with the treatment of constants in switch today;
this needs to be worked through carefully, otherwise refactoring a
switch like:

     case Foo(k)
     case Foo(k')
     case Foo(k'')

to a switch like

     case Foo(var x) {
         switch (x) {
             case k
             case k'
             case k''
          }
     }

will have subtle asymmetries.

So to sum this up, constant patterns are an "obvious" addition, but
which turn out to be very much non-obvious when you consider all the
connections with other language features and future language
directions.  So we've been waiting for these to settle.