Stream confusion

Nathan Reynolds numeralnathan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 20:19:09 UTC 2023

When the virtual thread hits the read(), it blocks.  The virtual thread's
call stack is copied off the carrier thread's stack.  When the virtual
thread unblocks, another carrier thread copies the virtual thread's call
stack back to the carrier thread's stack. Both of these operations require
synchronization (or happens before) to ensure the virtual thread's stack is
safely passed from one carrier thread to another carrier thread.  This
synchronization ensures the passing of "this" from one carrier thread to
another carrier thread is safe.  Hence, the unsafe() method is safe with
regards to a virtual thread executing on several different carrier threads.

unsafe() is not safe from multiple virtual threads calling it on the same
"this".  unsafe() is not safe from multiple OS threads calling it on the
same "this".