Trailing Commas

Ron Pressler ron.pressler at oracle.com
Thu Nov 30 19:02:42 UTC 2023

> On 30 Nov 2023, at 00:22, Johannes Spangenberg <johannes.spangenberg at hotmail.de> wrote:
>
> Hello, I was curious about the potential consideration for extending support for trailing commas. While I don't consider them critical, I find myself regularly bothered that I cannot use them.

Hi.

Perhaps someone on the language team has already given the technical merits of this matter some thought, but here’s my non-technical argument against making such a change:

For every person who has a strong preference in favour of allowing trailing commas where they’re not allowed today you’ll find another with an equally strong preference against allowing them. Additionally, if this option exists, people will want to write or update style guides preferring one style or the other. So the result is a lot of time, and possibly completely disproportionate emotion, spent for what, at best, is little gain. To me this sounds like the kind of change that is bound to require more effort — not on the implementation perhaps, but in debate — than it’s worth.

— Ron