Try/Catch DU Exception

Attila Kelemen attila.kelemen85 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 18:19:26 UTC 2024

> I still say it's not a big enough problem to worry about. If you're "going
> around" the JLS with tricks, some JLS guarantees are invalidated, just like
> with unchecked casts, etc.

The reason I would worry is because there are languages like Kotlin and
from its own perspective it is perfectly fine to throw any exception. And
someone might want to call it from Java (not realizing the possibility). I
think this is worse than unchecked casts and whatnot, because it doesn't
blow up in your face. You will just get an impossible value (likely 0 or
similar) which would be very hard to track down if it happens. Given that
you are catching the exception, you might not even get to see the
stacktrace in the logs. I think this would only be an acceptable risk if
the compiler would protect you from such exceptions by wrapping the checked
exception into an unchecked one.