Do we really need an implicit "import static java.io.IO.*"?

Olexandr Rotan rotanolexandr842 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 22:17:45 UTC 2024

Not sure if this conversation haven't shifted from its topic yet, but I
would argue with the point that state is bad and you should prefer static
methods wherever it is possible.

There is a few layers to it. First and foremost, keeping some information
in object state instead of passing it ap and down through long invocation
chains is just simply better for readability. Extracting object is a most
common refactoring to eliminate triads and higher order methods.

Secondly, mutability isn't something inheritendly bad. What is bad is
shared mutability. When mutations of state are encapsulated properly inside
of the owning object, they aren't harmful at all. Moreover, properly
dealing with state and mutability is one of the most important skills for
developer. There is more to purity then just immutability, and furthermore,
purity does not forbid mutability.

Lastly, if students you are teaching would ever decide to become commercial
developers, they would be inevitably struck with a fact that static methods
here are almost considered antipattern and discarded in favor of singletone.

So, to conclude, it is not about how far you can go without state, it is
about how far you should go. Not even mentioning the fact that static
methods provide no guarantee of purity, and instance methods do not imply
impurity. Functional style now is so exaggerated people often forget why
oop took over the world in the first place