known translation issues related to JEP 482

Archie Cobbs archie.cobbs at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 18:54:08 UTC 2024

On Thu, Jun 20, 2024 at 12:04 PM Maurizio Cimadamore <
maurizio.cimadamore at oracle.com> wrote:

> I think that this fix, coupled with the translation fixes I shared last
>> week should implement JEP 482 “as intended”
>>
> Awesome, thanks for tackling this! Fyi, I've merged this patch into my
> javac-pre-capture-fixes
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/compare/master...archiecobbs:jdk:javac-pre-capture-fixes?expand=1__;!!ACWV5N9M2RV99hQ!LNS_Z7ARnFzONoErnZklxoEZgNNqB6Z94YH73CC6lr9bNGs2ity2KjdM20yZjTgLM7aJTjO6MNMN0sLbdJaN4ojJJcfNUQ$>
> branch (already includes your lambda refactoring).
>
> Let me know if that fixes all the issue we're seeing (it would be great if
> we could collect all test cases in some github repo, so that we can add to
> them easily).

It fixes all the tests I've been running - these tests are already being
collected in the aforementioned github branch.

And I just added a couple more, so that now all of the "javac-pre-capture"
issues are represented with tests, and they are all passing.

So we're looking good! Let me know how you'd like to proceed and if I can
help in any way.

A few housekeeping notes about the current "javac-pre-capture" branch:

   - I fixed a typo in your "canRefThis" comment in Lower.java ("is" → "if")
   - The fix for JDK-8334252 (already committed) had the wrong bug # in the
   unit test (now fixed - does this need a separate bug?)
   - We may want a new error message for the JDK-8322882 error, which e.g.
   now reports "non-static method foo(Object) cannot be referenced from a
   static context" for the test case even though foo() is a static method.

Thanks,
-Archie

--
Archie L. Cobbs