Scope for JEP 468: Derived record creation

Brian Goetz brian.goetz at oracle.com
Fri Mar 1 14:24:02 UTC 2024

I do understand that there are some people who want by-keyword
invocation *so badly* that they are willing to write bad code to gain
the illusion of doing so.  Your example is the canonical example:
MyRecord has no good default, but some people will be tempted to expose
(null, null) as the default anyway (instead of rejecting those in the
constructor) just so they can "stick it to the compiler."  (Note that
this is fine if MyRecord actually has a reasonable default, which some
records do, or if you create a constructor that accepts the required
components and fills in sane defaults for the rest.)

Put more bluntly, some programmers overvalue superficial syntactic
preferences so badly that they are willing to compromise the safety and
correctness of their code -- and will pat themselves on the back for
their cleverness while they do it.

> People have been asking for keyword parameters in Java for years. Whether or not
> this block syntax is what the language designers would choose for keyword
> parameters, I think that if we introduce this feature without some way to
> construct new instances it will become the de facto syntax. It's just too
> tempting.

Oh, I get people want this.  And that bad programmers will surely do
this.  (And then they'll complain that they can't do it with classes, or
with factories, or that it interferes with compatible migration from
records to classes.)  But I don't think we should let their threatened
bad behavior drive language design decisions.

People think they want keyword parameters, but that's not really what
they want -- they just don't realize it yet.  What they really want is
keyword parameters *plus being able to omit parameters that have a
default*.  These two may sound like almost the same thing, but the
difference in reality is huge.  And as someone who has spent more time
thinking about this problem in Java than probably anyone else, I promise
you this is not the triviality it may seem.  So our antipathy to named
invocation is not just that it is a "meh" feature; it is that its cost
and benefit are way out of line with each other.