enhanced enums - back from the dead?

Kevin Bourrillion kevinb at google.com
Wed Dec 12 17:38:13 UTC 2018

Thanks Brian, that helps.

For example, the idea of switching on a compile-time constant has always
been conceptually 100% orthogonal to the type of that constant, and it
really will be simpler when one day we can just switch on anything. That's
a nice simplification* regardless* of whether anyone even uses the new
ability. Anyone who wanted to switch on a long would expect it to just
work, would have zero confusion about what the code meant if they
encountered it, etc. It becomes easily understood as something that *always
should have* worked -- there were just random "holes" in old versions that
eventually got filled in. It's the best case.

Thanks to your explanation I see that this case is like that one in theory.
It's not *quite *the same thing in practice. That is, I know that a person
can both read and write "switch (someLong)" with no puzzlement, but I don't
think the same is true here; enumness and genericness are
*conceptually* orthogonal
but most people can only come to that understanding through a bit of
confusion first, and they can't necessarily guess the right syntax to use.

Secondly, it's hard to imagine there being any unforeseen consequences of
switching on a long. Here, I don't really know how to think it through yet.
I would appreciate any "here's how we know that the changes we need to
support this will have no user-visible consequences at all except for X, Y,
and Z" type of explanation we have (apologies if I missed it).

Kevin Bourrillion | Java Librarian | Google, Inc. | kevinb at google.com