Raw string literals: learning from Swift

Guy Steele guy.steele at oracle.com
Fri Jan 11 20:23:11 UTC 2019

I like it.

There is an advantage to using a visually heavyweight character like ‘#’.  If you don’t want to use that, I think ‘$’ would work.

(I considered ‘%’, but there are two problems: in familiar usage it occurs a lot in format strings (even more than ‘$’), and moreover in principle the string

	%”

can already occur in a legitimate Java program (consider `myVar%”foobaz”.substring(k).length()`), but I think

	$”

cannot.)

I like that it leaves open a variety of escape constructions for possible future use.