nest syntax proposal

forax at univ-mlv.fr forax at univ-mlv.fr
Sun Jan 20 22:51:23 UTC 2019

yes, introducing a new concept is the weak part of my proposal.

I would prefer to not introduce the concept of nest in the language and just say every classes inside the same compilation unit has nestmate access (almost an extension of the current meaning).
There are two issues with that:
- it's a source compatible change but dangerous because it means that an existing .java class that declares a public class and a non public class, something which is currently allowed, if recompiled the two classes will gain nestmate access.
- nestmates in the VM is based on the notion of nest host, how the compiler determine which class is the nest host when they are several public classes in the compilation unit ?

maybe someone has a better idea that the keyword 'nest' ?

> People understand import.

compiler devs and JLS maintainers don't :)
import/import static is still a regular source of bugs, adding more overloaded meanings to import is something dangerous IMO.

> And they understand auxiliary classes. Let’s work with the familiar concepts.

but your solution seems tailored to sealed types, what if i have several record classes with no common abstract type, how it works ?
and again there is no refactoring between a classical interface and a sealed interface, something we should try offer.

Rémi

>> On Jan 20, 2019, at 4:31 PM, [ mailto:forax at univ-mlv.fr | forax at univ-mlv.fr ]
>> wrote:

>>> import enum Foo;