nest syntax proposal

forax at univ-mlv.fr forax at univ-mlv.fr
Sat Jan 26 16:54:03 UTC 2019

We can have multiple public classes in case there is a sealed type by lifting the restriction, force to have the compilation unit to have the same name as the interface and make all subtypes nestmate of the interface.
For tools, it means that if you want to find the java file from a class file, if there is not corresponding java file, then you can look in the java file of the nest host of the class file.

> If we don’t solve this problem at all, what are people most likely going to do?
> Most of the time, I suspect non-API writers will write nested records, and then
> use import static to hide the nesting from the client view.

which is fine with sealed interface not sealed class ...

> And API writers will bite the bullet and use six files.

> Neither of these are terrible, but they have that whiff of friction that we know
> people will complain about, because they don’t like their choices. But I think
> we could ship the feature with no special support in any case. So we’re in the
> “filing rough edges” department.

I think we can lift the "only one public class" if the compilation unit is the sealed type as described above because it's a backward compatible change.
It doesn't solve the case you want several record classes with no sealed type, but at least we cover the most common case.

Rémi

>> On Jan 26, 2019, at 8:24 AM, [ mailto:forax at univ-mlv.fr | forax at univ-mlv.fr ]
>> wrote:

>> I've slept on that problem this night.

>> Let's focus first on the sealed type, You are proposing to declare the subtypes
>> inside the sealed type, so you get nesting automatically and you can use import
>> + a special switch rules to be able to reference a subtype directly.
>> I believe this fell flat with a sealed class, because you are mixing inheritance
>> and enclosing scopes.

>> Let's take an example
>> sealed class Expr {
>> public void aMethod() { ... }

>> record Value(int value) extends Expr;
>> record Add(Expr left, Expr right) {
>> public void anotherMethod() {
>> aMethod(); // call super.aMethod() or Expr.this.aMethod() ?
>> }
>> }
>> }

>> as you can see, we are mixing inheritance and enclosing scope here, i don't
>> think it's wise to let a user to write this kind of monstrosity.

>> I wish inner classes where never invented (anonymous class are fine) but it's a
>> too late ...

>> We can say that records are always a static class, but refactoring a class to a
>> record or vice-versa will create instant puzzler.
>> We can only support sealed interface, not sealed class, it may be not a bad idea
>> per itself, anyway i think we should no try to mix nesting and subtyping.

>> Rémi

>>> De: "Brian Goetz" < [ mailto:brian.goetz at oracle.com | brian.goetz at oracle.com ] >

>>> etc. It’s a bigger hammer.