Class & interface terminology

John Rose john.r.rose at
Sun May 10 01:06:10 UTC 2020

On May 8, 2020, at 12:59 PM, forax at wrote:
> I'm not against replacing "type" as a generic term for all the construct.
> You're using "type-declaring construct", and i think it's a better term that "class and/or interface" because it convey the fact that this is an union of the different constructs.
> class and interface is ambiguous because it makes the terms "class" and "interface" both a construct and a subset of the constructs.
> Usually, it's better to avoid compound words in technical writing, so there is maybe a better term like type-construct or typeconstruct like you have cellphone and not cell phone.

Good suggestion.  That brings the candidate bikeshed colors to
at least three by my count:

- “type-construct” = a class or interface (or any of their sub-kinds)
- “class-like [construct]” = ditto (drop [construct] in “class-like declaration” etc.)
- “class” = a *proper* class or interface (or any of their sub-kinds)

There must be at least three more colors out there.  I do *not* want
Dan to wait for that particular shed-painting exercise to terminate
before cleaning up everything else, by means of careful use of the
three-word phrase “class or interface”.

— John

More information about the amber-spec-experts mailing list