Positioning of guards (was: Reviewing feedback on patterns in switch)

Brian Goetz brian.goetz at oracle.com
Tue Jan 25 19:49:02 UTC 2022

> 2.  Positioning of guards

We received several forms of feedback over the form and placement of guarded patterns.  Recall that we define a guarded pattern to be `P && g`, where P is a pattern and g is a boolean expression.  Guarded patterns are never total.  Note that we had a choice of the guard being part of the pattern, or being part of the `case` label; the current status chooses the former.  (Part of our reasoning was that there might be other partial pattern contexts coming, and we didn’t want to solve this problem each time. (For intsanceof, it makes no difference.) )

I am prepared to reconsider the association of the guard with the pattern, and instead treat it as part of the case.  This is expressively weaker but may have other advantages.

Additionally, people objected to the use of &&, not necessarily because “keywords are better”, but because of the potential confusion should we ever choose to support switch over boolean, and because the && did not stand out enough as turning a total pattern into a partial one.  What the alternative looks like is something like:

    switch (x) {
        case Foo(var x, var y)
            when x == y -> A;
        case Foo(var x, var y) -> B;
    }

Here, `when` (bike shed to be painted separately) is a qualifier on the case, not the pattern.  A total pattern with a `when` is considered a partial case.  This simplifies patterns, and moves the complexity of guards into switch, where arguably it belongs.

The loss of expressiveness is in not allowing nested patterns like:

    P(Q && guard)

and instead having to move the guard to after the matching construct.  Some users recoiled at seeing guards inside pattern invocations; it seemed to some like mixing two things that should stay separate.  (For unrolling a nested pattern, `case P(Q)` where Q is not total unrolls to `case Pvar alpha) when alpha instanceof Q`.)