Array patterns (and varargs patterns)

Brian Goetz brian.goetz at oracle.com
Tue Sep 6 21:11:43 UTC 2022

We dropped this out of the record patterns JEP, but I think it is time
to revisit this.

The concept of array patterns was pretty straightforward; they mimic the
nesting and exhaustiveness rules of record patterns, they are just a
different sort of container for nested patterns.  And they have an
obvious duality with array creation expressions.

The main open question here was how we distinguish between "match an
array of length exactly N" (where there are N nested patterns) and
"match an array of length at least N".  We toyed with the idea of a
"..." indicator to mean "more elements", but this felt a little forced
and opened new questions.

It later occurred to me that there is another place to nest a pattern in
an array pattern -- to match (and bind) the length. In the following,
assume for sake of exposition that "_" is the "any" pattern (matches
everything, binds nothing) and that we have some way to denote a
constant pattern, which I'll denote here with a constant literal.

There is an obvious place to put this (optional) pattern: in between the
brackets.  So:

     case String[1] { P }:
                 ^ a constant pattern

would match string arrays of length 1 whose sole element matches P.  And

     case String[] { P, Q }

would match string arrays of length exactly 2, whose first two elements
match P and Q respectively.  (If the length pattern is not specified, we
infer a constant pattern whose constant is equal to the length of the
nested pattern list.)

Matching a target to `String[L] { P0, .., Pn }` means

     x instanceof String[] arr
         && arr.length matches L
         && arr.length >= n
         && arr[0] matches P0
         && arr[1] matches P1
         && arr[n] matches Pn

More examples:

     case String[int len] { P }

would match string arrays of length >= 1 whose first element matches P,
and further binds the array length to `len`.

     case String[_] { P, Q }

would match string arrays of any length whose first two elements match P
and Q.

     case String[3] { }
                 ^constant pattern

matches all string arrays of length 3.

This is a more principled way to do it, because the length is a part of
the array and deserves a chance to match via nested patterns, just as
with the elements, and it avoid trying to give "..." a new meaning.

The downside is that it might be confusing at first (though people will
learn quickly enough) how to distinguish between an exact match and a
prefix match.